Five condos in Yuma have been unable to reoccupy because of a fire outbreak


YUMA — A fire has been taken out by local firefighters at the Villa Viejo Condos. The fire started around 9 in the morning, at first the fire was found in the bathroom and attic space of a unit.
The fire spread throughout a common attic and ultimately affected four units with significant fire damage, and another unit with a large amount of water damage. Five condos total were unable to be reoccupied.
The fire department said how this was a complex fire scene in extremely hot summer temperatures, and several agencies provided mutual aid in fire suppression efforts. There were over 50 fire department personnel on the scene, including four assisting agencies: MCAS Fire Department, Rural/Metro Fire Department, San Luis Fire Department, and Somerton/Cocopah Fire Department. Other agencies that assisted with this incident included the Yuma Police Department, the American Red Cross, APS, Southwest Gas, and the City of Yuma Building Safety Department. The Hills GastroPub at Desert Hills Golf Course also provided water, Gatorade, and snacks to the firefighters on scene, as well as an air-conditioned place for fire victims to meet with the American Red Cross.
The fire is believed to have originated at the bathroom ventilation fan of one of the units and spread throughout the shared attic space. There was one cat that was rescued from the fire. One occupant from the originating condo was evaluated by on scene paramedics and transported to YRMC for evaluation. A 2-year-old occupant of the originating condo was evaluated, but not taken to the hospital. There were two minor firefighter injuries.